The Future Museum Studio is a new research initiative within the Institute of Cultural and Creative Industry at Shanghai Jiao Tong University funded in 2021 by the Shanghai Municipal Education Commission. The studio will host a series of classes, workshops, and creative collaborations using historical film and photo archives to produce forward-looking VR and AR experiences of Shanghai history. The studio productions will connect historical images and stories with present-day places and people: new experiences of visual history outside the museum for new audiences.
In 2021, FMS will program workshops with students, media industry creatives, and representatives from the museum and archive sector, to discuss and develop opportunities for media projects. An important part of the workshops is to examine collections of historical images of Shanghai sites and stories. Of particular interest are sites unique to Shanghai and the city’s special connection to photography and the modern period.
• Summer 2021
- The Future Museum Studio will host a series of consultations and workshops with students and museum representatives to workshop Shanghai stories and historical imagery.
- Project possibilities will be brainstormed and developed. 3 to 5 project ideas will be visualized, scripted, and storyboarded. These project concepts will be presented to outside reviewers for feedback and critique.
• Fall 2021
- Two projects will be produced and published through a custom web app, featuring an augmented reality experience of the sites using VR photography (examples of apps can be seen in the attached project description ).
- An exhibition opening will be held to celebrate the release of projects, including in-gallery screens displaying works.
• 2022- future
- The Future Museum Studio at ICCI is an ongoing research venture. We hope to develop long term partnerships with institutions and industries to continue to produce experiences of historical media, and advance the technical innovation of virtual museums.
The Future Museum Studio values partnerships, consultancy relationships, collaborations, and support from multiple sectors.
- Immersive Storytelling Lab, Dept. Cinema and Media Arts, York University, Toronto.
- UCSC Creative Coding Lab, Dept. Computational Media, UC Santa Cruz.
- The Bartlett Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis, University College London.
- SJTU Machine Vision and Intelligence Group, Dept. Computer Science, SJTU.
- Dept. Architecture at School of Design, SJTU.
- Interactive Media Arts program, NYU Shanghai.
Museums & Archives
- Visual China Group, China
- Chicago History Museum, USA
- Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA, USA.
- Virtual Shanghai, Institut de Recherches Asiatiques, Aix-Marseille University, France.
- Shanghai Library, China.
- Royal Asiatic Society, Shanghai.
- Historical Photographs of China, University of Bristol, UK.
- Historic Shanghai, China.
- Shanghai Municipal Archives, China.
- Shanghai Center of Photography, China.
- VeerVR (veervr.tv), China
- Studio SpecialLand, 上海特与文化传播工作室, China.
- LiYan Media Co., Shanghai.